If you happen to be a business mogul and own a business and/or you consider moving in permanently Riga, there are few legal matters to consider first in order for you to become a legitimate resident of Riga.
Residence Permit and Citizenship
A residence permit is required for those planning to stay in Latvia for more than 90 days over 6 months from the date of entry; for those engaged in commercial activities; and for those who are self-employed in Latvia.
First, you must apply for your residence permit at your appropriate consular institution outside of Latvia. Permits are provided for a period of 1 to 5 years, depending on the circumstances outlined in your application. Permits also provide the possibility for extension when and if necessary, and you may apply to obtain a permanent residence permit after 5 years.
A residence permit provides the right to enter Latvia without a visa, to live and work within the territory of Latvia, and to use the medical and other services guaranteed by the state.
Residence permits in Latvia are provided to those who meet one of the following criteria:
Work (either employment or self-employment); Rendering or using services; Studies; Family reunion;
For EU citizens, a stable monthly income of 93,54 Ls is required.
Residence Permit Procedures
A simplified residence permit application procedure is available for the citizens of EU and EEA countries.
This procedure requires the following:
- Life and health insurance policy;
- A blank, officially-formatted residence permit request form;
- A photograph; and Documentation proving your basis for application (This may be an employment or education contract, a copy of a marriage certificate, etc).
For citizens of non EU/EEA countries that do not require a visa to enter Latvia there are additional requirements:
- Documentation confirming your place of residence in Latvia;
- A doctor’s statement that you have been tested for tuberculosis, or lung x-ray results; and
- Documentation confirming payment of the state fee; and two photographs.
These several essential information will help you prepare for that lifelong dream of becoming a resident of the city dubbed by many as Paris of the North.